Annual Progress Meeting on Reclamation Climate and Hydrology Research
October 3, 2012
Bureau of Reclamation, Denver, CO
More than 80 participants attended a workshop focused on collaborative CCAWWG projects addressing climate change impacts on hydrology, with special focus on flood hydrology and extreme storm events. Projects were discussed under three themes:
- Drivers of extreme precipitation and runoff events in the Colorado Front Range and Headwaters region, and climate change implications for these drivers.
- Role of moisture transport in extreme precipitation events within the Intermountain West, and what this means for storm classification.
- Sensitivity of portraying hydrologic impacts under climate change to downscaling and hydrologic modeling approaches.
Project presentations were provided by research leads from several collaborating institutions, including:
- NOAA Cooperative Institute for Research in the Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
- NOAA Earth Systems Research Laboratory (ESRL)
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- University of Colorado
- Reclamation Technical Service Center.
Presentations on related efforts were also provided by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Insitute for Water Resources (IWR) and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) - Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Support for these projects is being provided by NOAA ESRL, Reclamation (Dam Safety Office, Research and Development Office), USACE IWR, and Universities Corporation for Atmospheric Research.
Workshop participants represented 18 federal, state, and local organizations. More than half of the participants participated remotely via webinar. Based on the success of this workshop, NOAA ESRL convened a follow-up meeting on November 5 in Boulder, CO, with the purpose of engaging more ESRL researchers and raising awareness on these collaborative research and development efforts.
For further information, please contact R. Jason Caldwell , Victoria Sankovich or Levi Brekke .
- Bureau of Reclamation
- Dam Safety Office (DSO)
- Senior Advisor - Design, Estimating, and Construction / DSO
- Great Plains - Eastern Colorado Area Office
- Great Plains - Oklahoma Texas Area Office
- Great Plains - Region Office
- Lower Colorado - Boulder Canyon Operations Office
- Lower Colorado - Southern California Area Office
- Mid-Pacific - Region Office
- Mid-Pacific - Trinity River Restoration Division
- Pacific Northwest - Region Office
- Programs Management Office
- Research and Development Office
- Technical Service Center
- Upper Colorado - Albuquerque Area Office
- California Department of Water Resources
- Denver Water
- Department of the Interior
- Climate Science Center - Northwest
- Climate Science Center - South Central
- NASA - Ames Research Center
- National Center for Atmospheric Research
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Climate Programs Office
- Colorado Basin River Forecast Center
- Northwest River Forecast Center
- Regionally Integrated Science Assessment (RISA) - Western Water Assessment
- San Diego County Water Agency
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Seattle Public Utilities
- Southern Nevada Water Authority
- Tampa Bay Water
- USACE - IWR
- U.S. DOE - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- BCS Incorporated: Contractor to the U.S. DOE
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Office of Water
- Office of Research and Development
- University of Colorado
- University of Washington